CAO Points System
The CAO awards points to students based on their achievements in the Leaving Certificate examination. A student’s points are calculated according to these tables, counting their best six subjects only. If a student has sat the Leaving Cert more than once, their points are calculated according to their best year’s performance.
* 25 bonus points will be added to the points score for Leaving Certificate Higher Level Mathematics. # Points for Foundation Level Mathematics will be awarded by certain institutions. Applicants should refer to the HEI literature for full details. NCAD does not award points for Leaving Certificate or other examinations. Consult NCAD literature for details. Applicants for undergraduate medicine courses should consult the literature of the appropriate institution for information on assessment procedures. All HEIs award points for results in Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme Link Modules, in place of a sixth Leaving Certificate subject. However, not all HEIs count LCVP as meeting eligibility requirements in regard to passing subjects. Applicants should refer to HEI literature for full details. Accompanying conditions:
- The six best results, in recognised subjects, in one Leaving Certificate Examination will be counted for points computation.
- One sitting only of the Leaving Certificate Examination will be counted for points purposes.
- In the case of certain subjects, e.g. Home Economics (General), Foundation Level Mathematics or Foundation Level Irish, some HEIs may not award the points shown above. If in any doubt, check with the Admissions Office of the appropriate HEIs.
- Remember, you must first meet the minimum entry requirements in order to be considered for entry to a course. The bonus points are included in the overall points calculation only when Mathematics is one of the applicant’s best six subjects following the addition of the bonus.